Segal Cancer Centre at the Jewish General Hospital – Lady Davis Institute
A leading site for the conduct of phase I oncology clinical trials in Canada
A centre of expertise in innovative cancer therapies, the Clinical Research Unit of the Segal Cancer Centre at the Jewish General Hospital – Lady Davis Institute carries out more than a hundred clinical trials per year, all phases combined.
Headed by Dr. Wilson Miller, the unit is an international training centre for phase l clinical trials for research fellows wanting to specialize in targeted therapies and immunotherapy. It’s also one of Canada’s most active sites for the conduct of phase l oncology clinical trials. With access to facilities dedicated to research, the team, consisting of some fifty individuals, including 16 investigators, specializes in early-stage clinical trials, including first-in-human trials. The unit collaborates closely with the entire McGill University hospital network, namely the Jewish General Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital and the McGill University Health Centre.
Areas of expertise
- Phase I and II clinical trials of new oncology treatments
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies (biomarkers)
- Experience in immuno-oncology: early-stage clinical trials for several monoclonal antibodies: anti-CTLA4, anti-OX40, anti-PD-1, anti-PDL1, anti-LAG-3, IDO1 inhibitors, adenosine A2a receptor, anti-IL17A, anti-IL1beta, PEG-IL2, TVEC
- Biopsy-based and serial biopsy clinical trials for molecular target discovery and validation, and also to guide therapy
- Design, conduct and follow-up of early-stage clinical trials
- Collaboration with translational and biomarker research laboratories
- 53-person team, including 16 investigators specializing in preclinical and clinical trials
- 7 beds, 12 treatment chairs and 3 private rooms
- Area reserved for laboratory analyses
- Core facilities: molecular pathology, proteomics, flow cytometry, cell imaging, rodent phenotyping, high-performance computing, peptide synthesis, radiation biology, medical physics core laboratory